Friday 10 April 2015

Lahinch Junior Competition 2015

              Lahinch Junior Nationals 2015!

It had been a long time since I had competed last. The euro juniors in September was the last time, a whole six months to be exact. I had put some work in for about a month and a half previous, practicing heats in free surfs. I felt good going into the event.












                                                                                         

 I headed up to Lahinch on Friday the 6th of March and was lucky to score an amazing wave somewhere in Clare that same day. I was so excited for surf after it! What made it even better was scoring it with a bunch of friends.
             On Saturday the forecast and tides only suited a surf in the evening so my friends and I had some time to waste. We decided to head up to Moy Hill community garden and give a hand. We spent 3 hours up there with a load of other amazing surfers. I was delighted because I was really interested in having a little vegetable patch of my own so the lads gave me a few pointers and really drove me on to get cracking on it when I went home back to Cork! After the gardening I was really content with life, I didn’t even feel the need for a surf I was so happy with myself! But my friend and I decided to go for a look around Doonbeg! After about a half an hour of searching we came across a little cove with a lovely little wave breaking in there. We were happy to go in for a paddle and after about an hour the tide rushed over a little bank on the beach and formed an amazing little wedge. Bodyboarders heaven! I couldn’t contain myself! I spent 2 hours catching wave after wave, not tiring and ecstatic with the thought of just a mate of mine and me scoring such amazing waves by ourselves! It was the perfect end to a perfect day!
       We woke up on the morning of the competition (Sunday) and walked down to the beach for a 9a.m check in. We looked out to see the waves looking pretty challenging to say the least. I was really looking forward to paddling out for my heat and surfing competitively again! My heat came around and the tide had gone out a lot making for challenging, rippy conditions. I walked out the reef, jumped off and paddled out to a nice right hander I saw breaking from the beach. I found it hard to catch a wave but luckily got one solid wave where I got a 5.5, which was enough to take the win. I was delighted to win the under 18 bodyboarding event but I know myself I have to work on a few things here and there but I am looking forward to getting back training and practicing for a busy few months of competing ahead.


                                                  

           
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment